Wednesday, August 26, 2009

brynn's big girl room






since we moved here in april, i have always been excited to decorate brynn's bedroom and get her out of the crib. yes, you heard me right. she STILL slept in her crib (being over 2 1/2 years old) during the time we moved. she LOVED it and never once tried to escape. she always slept so soundly in there and never gave steve and i any worries during the night as we knew she was safe. well, she would be more then happy to continue sleeping in the crib the rest of her life but i'm sort of in need of it in 8-9 weeks...so, about a month ago we took down one side rail and made the crib into a toddler type bed to prep her for the twin bed that we bought her in early july. we didn't move her into the twin back in july as we had family staying with us and needed that bed for them. i have been trying to use this move into the other room as leverage for learning how to use the potty, but that in itself is an entirely different post....SO, i took pictures today of what it looks like and am happy with how it turned out for the most part! there are a few little things i want to add to the room to complete the "look" i have in my head, but for now its pretty dang close.
my great friend emily s back in germany bought her daughter audrey this off white bedroom set and ever since then i have been in love with it! luckily, back in may steve and i found someone who was selling the sleigh bed head board, foot board, and rails for $100 on craigslist so we snatched that up real quick. i kept looking online for a dresser and nightstand that would match it, but didn't have any luck. i'm really picky with furniture and wanted something to match exactly...so i eventually went down to ashley furniture here in anchorage and bought the dresser and nightstand from the furniture line for a pretty good deal and finished the look. steve would have been fine grabbing old dressers that we see off the side of the road, but he forgets who runs the show here...LOL! I'M KIDDING!
brynn has not slept in this room yet, but i plan to start the transition soon so she isn't so angry at the baby for stealing her crib. she spends a lot of her day in this room reading her books and playing, so she's pretty comfortable in there.
i always knew i wanted to go with a b&w damask theme, and started collecting pillows and boxes while we lived in germany when i saw things. for a while i was going to attempt to make curtains and pillows, but since i'm NOT too good with a sewing machine, decided on just buying a simple black shade from target and found the pillow on the left there as well. did i mention how GREAT it feels to have a target within driving distance once again?! i'm sure steve wouldn't mind anchorage never getting one...
*the black and pink tutu on the wall is actually a bow holder that i bought online on etsy. i took all the bows off for the picture so it didn't look too busy.
*the canvas damask art is something i made with a little help from etsy and joann fabrics.
*the 3 white picture frames are from michael's on clearance and the b&w flower prints are from ikea.
*bought the comforter from target along with the black bed skirt. mango loves the bed skirt too so at times it has an orange tint to it.
*i LOVE lanterns and started collecting them back in germany. i threw 2 in the room but might replace them with other things if i find something that catches my eye...(steve is shaking his head no)

13 comments:

The Jo's said...

SO cute! It's by far the trendiest 3 year old's room I've seen!

kayla said...

What an awesome room! So cute, without being "cutsie"! I love the tutu on the wall, Saige still has hers displayed on pegs in her room...too cute. Love the color combination too...I'm really jone'sing for Target! I can't wait to get back to the states to do Bodie's room!

Anonymous said...

it looks so cute!!! What a great decorator you are!!! you did a very good job... can't believe you're so close to having your baby!!

Annie said...

SO CUTE! You did such a good job!

The Obstinant Family said...

You did an AWESOME job on her room Lindsey. COngrats to you. CUTE...CUTE!

Kasey said...

Adorable! I love the bow holder. I might have to get that site from you. Are you the Etsy queen or what?

Nielsen Family said...

Oh my gosh Brynn does not have a big girl room!!!!! ahhh. She's so big. I love it though. Super super cute!!!

Unknown said...

LOVE LOVE it! I am so into damask right now. Love the roman shade too. Cutest room I have seen pretty much ever :)

ps. you hangin in there? I am miserable right now...HUGE, uncomfortable and sick! Kids are worth it though right :)

Jayci said...

whoa!! that room is more grown up than mine! :P ha ha VERY PRETTY ROOM!!

Stacey said...

I love the room, but I just have to ask - where are the toys?

Adventures in Petersonland said...

luckily we have an extra room downstairs so thats where i make brynn keep all her toys. i will post pictures of the play room later...still working on getting it how i invision it in my head.

Schuster Travels said...

Gorgeous Lindsay! I love how you decorate...that is an amazing room. I'm so glad you got such an amazing deal with the bed and furniture!!! It looks so nice..she's going to love her new big bed and room. Okay, more pics of the house...do it now, right now.

Terra Bingham said...

Her room is awesome! But no Dora or Deago? I wish I could do something like that to my bedroom. Some day! Is your home finally done? Hope it is so we see you more.