
i love joann fabrics. seriously, i do. i get all giddy when i get coupons in the mail and go at least once a week to get my 'crafty fix' on. i was deprived for 3 years in germany so i'm making up for lost time! brynn of course HATES this store and instantly gets angry at me when we approach it. definitely daddy's little girl! she also pronounces it "the crap store" which makes steve beam from ear to ear. they are both conspiring against me i swear...
anyways, the store i often go to is not in the best of neighborhoods in anchorage, so i'm often weary when i get out of my car. there are homeless people all over the parking lot and bus stop and they are all pretty shady looking (i'm really not trying to be stereotypical. they really are crazy looking in this area). across the parking lot is a trailer park court to give you a better picture...also, the worlds most ghetto mall is next to joann's, so you can imagine the type of people that it brings in. i am often asked if i have any spare change by people all the time the second i get into the parking lot while leaving the store so i'm always rushing out to my car to avoid these situations. i'm really not a mean person, and if you know me, you are aware of that. i love to help others, but i don't feel good about giving my $ to homeless people that reek of alcohol and are obviously not there. and in all honesty, if you are caught giving money to the homeless in anchorage you are fined! and i really don't need that at the moment. but, its really hard for me NOT to help all these people that are obviously struggling, as i hate seeing people suffer. its hard for me to see. c'mon, i have a hard time saying no to the ladies at costo who are giving away free samples trying to sell a product! i'm a push over!
SO, i had a little incident that scared the #$%& out of me as i was getting into the car with brynn this afternoon. as we were leaving joann's, i immediately had this awful feeling come over me. so i grabbed her hand, and struggled to tote my purse and 2 bags all in one trip to our car that wasn't parked too far away from the entrance. i threw my bags in the trunk of the car, then proceeded to buckle brynn in her carseat when in the corner of my eye i see some guy walking pretty fast towards me on the right carrying a gas tank. my heart started to race and for some reason this awful feeling that i was having a few minutes earlier was instantly overwhelming making me dizzy and crazy nervous. i chucked my purse further in the back of my car just in case this guy was trying to make a grab for it and was just about to shut brynn's door when he started up a random conversation with me:
guy: "hey, i see you're pregnant! we are about the same age, and my girlfriend had a baby not too long ago. babies are great huh?"
me: "oh, congrats. yes, yes they are great."
guy: "i'm a coach in wasilla (as he points to his windbreaker. whatever dude, you probably stole that or got it from a thrift store. plus, i doubt anyone would let you coach their kids) and need to get home."
me: "ya, nice area. i live in eagle river (WHY AM I TELLING THIS GUY THAT?!)."
guy: "we'll, you're probably wondering why i'm carring this gas tank? my car broke down over by costco and i'm been stranded here for 3 hours looking for some $ and a ride"
(which is odd bc costo is literally 1/2 a mile or more down the road and this guy is totally capable of walking there)
me: "oh, im sorry to hear that. i can't help you out though..." (i say this while not trying to make eye contact as he is really really intimidating me)
guy: "oh please, i'm about your age (i don't understand why this makes a difference...) and have really been down on my luck lately."
me: "man, i'm sorry. i really have to get home fast and don't feel comfortable driving you with just me and my daughter."
guy: "don't feel comfortable?! (laughs) it's not like i have a gun or anything" (he SAYS this while lifting up his shirt, exposing his baggy pants, boxers, and basically his MAN STUFF...blah)
i laugh nervously. this guys is not taking no for an answer and i'm freaking out.
guy: "well, if you aren't going to help me out with a ride, can i have ten bucks? i know you have a lot for your baby there (pointing to my stomach) and you can share."
me: "oh, i'm sorry. i don't have any cash on me."
guy: "really?"
this is where i started getting jumpy as no one else was in the parking lot and he was leaning a little closer to me. i seriously about peed my pants.
and i swear, JUST as this was happening i hear a loud voice coming from the side saying "HEY! MAN! i told you to stop begging for money! get out of here or else i'm going to call the cops for real!"
this guy looks me over PISSED, then walks away real fast. i just stood there speechless as a huge polynesian mall cop comes into my view motioning for the guy to get out of there. he asks if i'm ok, then proceeds to walk quickly towards the guy who is running towards the street by this time. first time in my life where i was so happy to see a mall cop! bless you mall cops! i take back all the things i ever said about you guys...you DO do more then drink orange julius's and ride around in your segways while flirting with underage girls.
thanks again. i think i'm going to contact the mall and thank the northway mall cops for doing their job. it's probably a good idea to start bringing pepper spray when i go out.

18 comments:
seriously!! pepper spray all the way (even bear spray would be great - ha!). I am SOOOO glad you are okay. and SOOOOO GLAD there was the mall cop around there! I would have peed my pants! I'm so sorry we were just inside while all this was going on. SCAAAARY. I think I am insane: one night after work (I worked at Providence last year/early this year) I stopped by that mall and walked around for some 'cute shirts' - I noticed it was ghetto, but I didn't realize that it could be DANGEROUS too!!!! USUALLY they go hand in hand, but go with me here. I go to Joanns all the time and I guess I've been lucky or something. I told Jess when she called that I saw one of my old patients there who wears a top hat and has no teeth. I actually really looked forward to this guy coming in because he's such a hippy/character. But I thought he lived down near Seward! I don't know WHAT He was doing there. So I DID see a crazy guy, but I KNEW him. HA HA Lucky me. Unlucky YOU!!! LINDSAY. I'm still in shock. But so thankful you and cute little Brynn are OKAY!
Duuude, your story almost made ME pee MY pants! Next time, just yell at him to get away from you before he says anything at all. I learned that in my self defense class...easier said than done though.
Thank you, mall cop!
Holy Crap! I'm glad that you're okay! You were definitely being watched over. Sheesh! Gotta love the crazies around here.
Im glad you are okay. I hate it when stuff like that happens. I feel so sorry for those people, their lives are so sad. See ya soon!
Wow...that is SO SCARY!!!Especially just you and your daughter. I am so glad he came and helped you, cause who knows sometimes what crazy stupid people will do. Glad you're ok :) 12 DAYS TILL BABY! I can't wait! I'm sure you can't either.
ps. I LOVE LOVE Joanes too...My kids are awful in that store and hate it too :)
oh lindsay--talk about scary! i'm glad you're safe!
I'm so glad you're alright! That would be terrifying. I never knew Ankorage was such a scary place! Don't tell Steve that story, he'll forbid you to go back to that part of town!!!
Hey had someone with the same story once, need gas to get to the Valley. He was trying to get money. I gave him some just for him to go away. Luckily Curtis had to go back to the car and caught up to me when the guy was talking to me. Most beggers usually start out with." You are a beautiful big women" or "wow you are a big women" I am not flattered when I am called a big women, maybe tall but not big. Anyways glad you are okay and always be ready for the palm to the nose and break it and then the knee to the crotch.
OH MY GOSH!!!!!!!!!! Thank goodness you are okay! I was so scared as I was reading your post. THANK THE LORD ABOVE FOR MALL COPS!!!!!!!!!!!! :)
Perfect description of that area. Ugh. What a scary thing to have happen. Thank goodness for that mall cop, huh?! Glad you are okay.
Good grief Lindsay...I definitely would have peed my pants!!
I'm a little nervous about coming back to the states for this very reason....I think I'll order pepper spray right now!! Glad you're okay....;o)
HOLY CRAP LINDSEY!!! That is so freaking scary. Thank goodness you listened to the spirit.
Lindsay, that is so scary! I'm thankful that you and Brynn are okay. thank you mall cop!!!
Next time, pretend that you see Steven across the parking lot and wave to him "Honey, I'm over here!" Then when the guy looks over, kick him in the nuts and jump in the auto.
can you believe that your mother is giving you this kind of advice?
Lindsey
1) glad you are safe
2) Why didn't you simply tell the guy that your husband is an officer in the united states air force? That would have had him peeing in his pants.
Something like this
Bad guy "hey i see your prego"
linds "my husband is an officer in the air force, which means he is one bad dude, and very protective and doesn't allow me to take to people carrying gas cans."
Bad guy "you mean the united states air force"
Linds "thats right so why don't you make like a tree and leave"
Bad guy, pees pants and then screams "ahge" but you can hardly hear it because he is running so fast.
any way just a thought.
I about choked on my cereal when I read the thank you paragraph to mall cops. You are sooo funny! That guy sounded creepy, I know I would have been so scared. Thank goodness for that mall cop. From now on, drive to dimond area...or, carry a gun.
Holy Crap Lindsay! You have run into so many weird people up there. I am so glad everything turned out okay. I would have be soooo scared. I think you handle these situations so well. WoW!!
I'm so confused...you said the mall cop was really "pissed," yet you were the one going to pee your pants? Why that doesn't make any sense!?
Glad you're safe! - Daddy-O
Oh my gosh! Why do you keep finding these people! Scarry! I'm glad you survived.
Post a Comment