Sunday, December 21, 2008

trier christmas market

all over germany in december, there are several christmas markets that take place. steve and i love going for the food, looking at the interesting things people sell, and checking out the stores. wait i take that back, i love going to the stores. h&m being one of my favorite but steve always gives me a time limit as he isn't into letting me buy anything EVER! thats why i have to go with my friends and not him...anyways.

trier is pretty close to us (approx. 4o minutes) and we are pretty familiar with the city, so we choose to go again this year for their christmas market. i really wanted to go to rothenburg which is 4 hours away, but due to poor planning on my part and steve not being able to take leave, we decided to go somewhere closer. we always love going to trier, so i didnt have to beg too much to get steve to agree.

here are some pictures from our day yesterday (saturday).

brynn and i in front of the porta nigra. this gate was built in 180 AD and is still standing today. trier is considered germany's oldest city because it has so many roman ruins scattered throughout it. i will definately miss this city!

steve waiting for his favorite dish; these saute'ed mushrooms and potatoes with this unreal sauce! i forgot to ask what they are called (also pictured below)


i LOVE this stuff (called poffertjes)! these people cook these mini pancakes on this griddle, (as shown) throw them in an edible bowl, (tastes like an old fashioned icecream cone) chop up some banana's, and drizzle nutella over them. they are UNREAL! this year i decided to boycott the booth as the ladies got nasty with me when i took this picture and told me to leave! chill out people! taking a friggin picture isnt going to expose how the magic works! needless to say i was pretty embarrassed as their booth was packed and germans have no problem at all starring you down. i walked away with my tail between my legs feeling like an idiot.

potato cakes with applesauce. i normally like these, but they were so greasy that i was only able to eat half of one. plus, the cardboard plate was translucent due to the high amounts of grease so that made me a little sick!

me, devouring a nutella crepe (and if any of you havent tried nutella, youre missing out! its this hazelnut spread which is amazing with fruit, breads, your fingers...anything!). they are definately better in paris, but this was good too.


we always get a bag of toasted candied almonds each year. they are really good! i have to hide them from steve when we get home as they are pretty addicting. i forgot to take a picture of this at the stand, so here i am standing out our front door. notice the evil metal stairs?

the following pictures are of the market and some stands.




ummmm....chocolate covered fruit! didnt get any this year, but i drooled over them each time i passed the stands!



it was a great day! they finally put in an h&m kids store in the indoor mall so i grabbed a few knee socks for brynn to keep her warm in this friggin cold weather. i want to go back and buy everything in that store as their stuff is just darling! although figuring out the european sizes is a little hard...

4 comments:

Annie said...

I am SOOOO jealous! I can't believe the nutella pancake people were mean to you, they were so nice to us that one day! Even tho they thought I was a big fatty for getting a double order, haha. Needless to say, I'm really jealous that you got to go to Trier and shop at H&M and visit the Christmas Markt. Where is this inside mall? Is it by the walkplatz? I wish I was there with you :(

Nielsen Family said...

So I'm going to steal some of your pictures cause we forgot to take any until we were leaving. I can't believe I forgot to go to the booths on the other side of H&M. I was looking for the pancakes too. We did get crepes and waffles and some awesome hot chocolate that came in these cute little mugs (4 euro such a rip off but whatev).

Kiesha said...

Oh what a dangerous place for someone who likes to eat. I think I could probably eat my weight with all that food...HEAVEN!!! Looks like you had fun. Have a great christmas!!!

Natalie said...

Oh good times, that takes me back a few years ago, weird...