Monday, January 19, 2009

idar oberstein

we decided to take advantage of steve's day off and go somewhere local that we hadn't visited yet. we've heard great things about idar oberstein (about an hour away on the autobahn) so we decided to check it out. it poured all the way there so i was afraid we were going to be miserable and wet, but luckily it stopped once we arrived!

idar oberstein is known for all of it's gemstone's and mine's along with it's church (felsenkirchen) that is built right into the side of the mountain. legend has it that back in the 14th century, 2 brothers fought over the same girl and one was thrown over the cliff in a jealous rage. the brother felt so awful for killing his sibling, that he went to a priest to confess and he told him to build a church with his own two hands where his brothers body was found. he did this and was supposedly forgiven and then buried along side this brother in a nearby tomb when he died.

i see the strangest company's names on the sides of semi trucks and cars and was lucky to catch a picture of one as steve drove today. nice huh?! lol! it had us cracking up.

saw this well today on our steep walk back to our car and had to see if it actually worked. don't mind the hat. i thought it looked pretty cool, but after seeing these pictures i realize i look like an idiot. and don't mind my pants being rolled up! one of my pet peeves is getting the bottoms of my pants wet so i had to roll them today to prevent my jeans from getting soaked up to my knees! i don't enjoy being wet and cold. how am i going to survive alaska?! hmmm...

imagine living in one of these homes! this road was so friggin steep and a little scary to walk down with a stroller. like how the germans park on the side of the road? ya, its so cool. i think i've almost side swipped a billion cars trying to get down narrow streets! i will NOT miss this part.

no outing is complete without a peterson self portrait! ya, we need to invest in a mini tripod.

i have to take yoohoo's wherever we go as this is my trick to keep brynn happy. who doesn't enjoy a yoohoo?!

posing next to a huge gemstone in the museum.

church in the mountain. up above is remnants of a fort where the brother threw his brother from. we hiked up there from the bottom!!! it was not so fun with the slick ground and a stroller.


view of the walkplatz with the church in the background. really cute town! we had fun walking around and seeing the stores.

steve really really likes kebab's.

fun day! we will miss germany and all the awesome sites that are so close to us. im kicking myself for not doing more when we first moved here in february 2006. the past 3 years have seriously gone fast and i feel like we didn't do much at all! i hope we are stationed again in germany.

10 comments:

Nielsen Family said...

I'm so glad that you guys had fun and the rain stopped long enough for ya. We hung out at home and ate commissary cake...it was a bit of a disappointment...I guess its time to leave when commissary cake looses its charm. haha

The Polka Dot Apron said...

We went through the same thing when we left Oregon to move back to Utah. We were there for 4 years and hardly saw anything and haven't been back since! :( Good luck with your move! PLEASE make sure to get in some ice fishing while in Alaska- I think that would be the bomb- little shack, long underwear, hats with earflaps, etc.- sounds like a good time to me!

The Obstinant Family said...

That looked really cool Lindsey, they church in the mountain.

Steve's kebab looked really YuMmY! I have been craving one for sooooooo Long.

Anonymous said...

Hay, cute pix.. I'm sure you've seen plenty of the country having lived there, but it does seem that you don't adventure as much where you live.... Cody still loves peanut butter, but I don't think he walks around with it... the terrace is falling apart. They are really short staff so he is driving. They are getting close to going under... crazy huh.. Ya the lady in the pic is Atty's mom.... they do look a lot a like... he's also just a giant for his age... he's taller than Cody by an inch.

micHelle said...

Hi Lindsay,

It's Michelle. To say the least I was surprised to hear from you! How the heck are you. You were pregnant last time I saw you and now look at you and your little girl!!! Konie said to tell you she was wondering who looked at her blog from Germany. Hope all is well, take care. Mic

Unknown said...

CRAZY.....I have TOTALLY been there for a field trip when I lived in Germany! funny seeing pictures on your blog of it. Oh the memories. I don't want you to move to Alaska cause I love seeing pictures of Germany :) Although, Alaska is going to be gorgeous! COLD but gorgeous. hehe. Looks like you guys had fun though...and you don't look like a dork I promise :P

Kacee said...

Lindsay!!! I will be forever grateful to you for taking the picture of that truck!! Have you seen the Seinfeld episode when Kramer gets the wrong license plates for his car - it says ASSMAN. Well, I saw a similar truck twice while in Germany, but I was never able to get a picture of it. Of course I've told Bryan's entire family about it - all Seinfeld fanatics - and I don't think they really believed me. Well now I have proof! And I am saving the picture and e-mailing it out to them right now. You're awesome! Love your blog and seeing what you're up to.

Jeff said...

why would you name your truck or company
A**mann? anyone? maybe it is a german thing?

Maybe the owner was born with an enormous butt?

Maybe the owners wife has a really big butt and he doesn't want her to feel bad about it?

The Olsen's said...

I really loke kebabs too!!! We miss you guys, but I am glad you are enjoying the last of your Germany adventure before you head to the wilds of Alaska!!!

Annie Pennington said...

I need to capture a shot of David gazing at a kabob like that as well, we are HUGE Kabob fans!!! YUMMY!!! The baby monitor we bought for Claire is that Ansmann brand and everytime I read it I just chuckle...at a glance it looks quite dirty! :)