"where ya from?"
"germany"
"germany huh?"
"yep. my husband's in the air force and we just moved here in april"
"huh. i don't like it. don't like your plates at all. it's not right. don't like them one bit"
"errr....ok? sorry?"
"better get them switched out right away"
errr OK dude! didn't mean to offend you with my plates! and no, he wasn't a cop. just some local guy trying to spread the alaskan love. grrrr.
so for a while there, we were driving this around (more me then steve as this is 'my' car) illegally as it was not registered well, anywhere! and to top that off, my drivers license had expired on my birthday so i was totally breaking the law baby! to even register your car in alaska, you need to have an alaskan state drivers license so steve got his before i did to start the process in getting my car legal. it was such a PAIN as we found out that 1) our car didn't pass the emissions test and needed some work done in order to pass (DANG YOU STUPID GERMAN MECHANIC! WE HAD WORK DONE RIGHT BEFORE WE MOVED FOR NOTHING!) and 2) when the title was switched to us when we bought this honda in december of 2006, it was done incorrectly! so we have to hunt down the original owners who bought this car brand new and make all these amendments to the title. nice. oh, and did i mention that we didn't buy the car from the original owners (a couple from spangdahlem afb owned it before we did), so we have to have THEM sign it too! i guess the guy is currently deployed so this title is going to be all over the place and we hope it doesn't get lost in the mail somehow. not cool. so in the mean time, we have temp plates along with a butt load of paperwork in the dashboard to prove we didn't steal it or whatever if we get pulled over. and guess what?! when steve called our insurance company to ask some questions about the honda, we were informed that insurance on it stopped back in march! AHHHH! we have no idea why as we never asked for that to happen! so we have been driving this around with NO insurance, and totally unregistered! nice. thank goodness i wasn't in any accidents as that would have sucked major butt.

12 comments:
Ahhh, what a headache! I hope everything gets worked out. I still always think of you when I see a silver CRV.
i can't believe some guy would say that! What an honor for you to meet the King of Alaska.
I'm sorry, but I am dying laughing as I read this! You are too funny. And that conversation with the man at walmart? You've got to be kidding me!! What a weirdo!
Aren't there some real weirdo's there? Total redneck...so funny Lindsay. Your conversation with that guy just made my day.
Oh my gosh! What a hassle. I'm supposed to get a ND license too and I'm like no I'm from Utah! haha I hope everything works out. Let us know when it does.
I'm really sorry that I'm laughing at your huge ordeal. I miss Walmart!
Girl what the heck?!?! No WAY would I of gotten out of my car!!! Some people here are so....strange. You should put one of those bumper stickers up that say, "Alaska girls kick butt!" and then maybe the plates won't bug them so much.
holy cow... I read this forever ago, and didn't have time to comment... what is with those people!!?? CRAZY!!! although I guess the german's are too!! :) HOpe you get things figured out... what a pain in the ass. You have as good and crazy luck as I do!!
I love reading your stories! For some reason, you seem to have way more interesting experiences than anyone else I know;)
wow what car drama!! ha ha - who ever knew a car could cause so much trouble?! glad you have been a safe driver, as well. :)
have you seen Dan in Real Life? "Just put it on my tab."
"what?"
"jst pt it n ma tab." (mumbled). HA HA HILAAARIOUS.
I was driving on the base today and saw 2 cars with the German plates and it reminded me of this posting. It kept picturing that guy popping up yelling how he didn't like it, not one bit haha
...At least you were in the wide open wilderness. You don't really need insurance because the cars are too spread out, and if you hit a wildebeast, he not intelligent enough to ask to see your insurance card!
Post a Comment